Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Before and After (well, sort of...)

Hello all, hope you are well. In the "I can't believe that I am doing this department" you slowly set the bar higher and higher. Shower only every 7 days, did that. Do your morning biz in the parking lot with running ambulances and helos around? Yup. Help others break into their house by kicking in the door for them? Yup (you don't think about it but when the floodwater gets over your lock the gunk in the water goes into the keyhole). Well, did some clothes shopping (for me) with the girlfriend at respectable shops recently. Went to Home Depot (open on the island now) and they had shorts and shirts on 1/2 off and picked up some. Clean is clean after all.
Okay, now back on track. I wanted to show you and drive home the start of what happened with the storm. The floodwater (which initially backed up thru the storm drain as it did not breach the Seawall) started MORE THAN 24 HOURS BEFORE THE STORM HIT!!!

The water got high enough and there was enough wind that there was a fire (not UTMB, but the marina nearby). The tall building next to the ED is our locked facility for Texas state inmates. Note the smoke obscuring the ED (and then blowing over the main hospital). The smoke smell was strong within the hospital, worse in the ED. Furthermore, we worked and relocated the "ED doors" to the front of the hospital since we worked for a period out of the SICU. The smell abated quickly and we went to the ED within 36 hours.

Look all around on the ground. See where the water is. Look to appreciate water levels. On my next blog I will give some better comparison shots for this side of the institution, anyway. I "heard" the quiet of the eye and woke up (the storm shutters stopped rattling). I think I remember saying to myself that the quiet is probably the eye and fell back asleep. It was the middle of the night so I couldn't get pics for y'all anyway. Sorry.

No comments: