Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Some power restored and a look at the seawall now

Hello and thank you for checking in. I hope that this finds you in a better position overall. On the island an odd phenomenon occurred - from (roughly) 25th-ish street to 50th-ish street there was a foot or less affecting many of the houses south of Broadway (the main thoroughfare). Due to this, many of those houses have had their power restored! The water, weak pressure as it is, has returned to most spots east of 61st St.

Speaking of odd things check out these two findings in my house (I didn't set these up, really, they are pictured as they were found, no joke)



When I opened up the toilet lid, the brush had evidently gotten inside...


The Mexican lizard had floated (swam?) from a nearby mantle and pushed the TV off of the cart, claiming its new place. Must've been eyeing that spot for a while, I guess.


OK. In my travels today I took a slightly longer trip and took the seawall back. Remember that it was at the top pre-storm (first video). The Seawall's Gulf face is concave to help "reflect" the waves and decrease water over the top onto the roadway. That shape helps to make some spectacular waves. Also, the way the waves came in (and just as a reminder this was before the storm came) they "travelled" down the Seawall. Also note the same potatohead that I referenced earlier holding onto a sign while the waves beat on him (I assume it was a him as testosterone lowers IQs sometimes).



Today the tide was out a little but there was roughly a normal day today (second and third videos). During / After the storm there were reports that the Seawall broke up. No such thing. I have travelled the entire length and there are pieces of asphalt out, but it is fine and none the worse for wear.

No comments: