Tuesday, September 16, 2008

They are cleaning up the streets

They have moved in with some heavier equiptment and are cutting fallen trees and pushing stuff to the side. Still waiting for porta-potties at the hospital. Gonna go take care of some cats and birds and my place today (ground level was flooded).
I think that some of the thick soup left is a modern version of the primordial soup which gave rise to life. Just a bit more toxic. Have seen a few folks develop more nasty infections from small pricks in just 24 hours.
I am very proud to be part of this country and this recovery effort. I am thankful to all from the Coast Guard helicopter pilots and crews and other military pilots and crews who flew in the 50-70 mph winds to all those here today. I am thankful for all of the other ground support from the military and DMAT medical support and the SETRAC transport support. I am thankful to all who support this university operations and this city's operations. Please tell your loved ones who may be on this island that if they are staying, they are making a foolish mistake. Go, relax for a bit and you will be let back on. Stuff is stuff. If you stay and get very sick you will be going. No one is telling anyone to leave and never come back. We just want to let the folks supporting the recovery effort work on that and not worrying about John Q Public. It will allow it to proceed quicker. I live here and want to be back in full swing quick also.

Just to clarify - UTMB was never on fire. This proved to be an interesting issue (I can say interesting because the issue has come and gone). The acrid smoke only increased in volume and then came straight at UTMB. I had a sore throat for a few hours (yes, I was a dummy and was out in it some - helped move a locked motorcycle up to higher ground). The smell permeated the ED and went into the rest of the building. The ED was moved for a while, but then returned.

No comments: